Hello! Attached is a list of community services opportunities the school has been made aware of during the month of September and ongoing opportunities to earn community service hours. Remember to bring the attached Community Service Verification Form with you when you volunteer at a non-profit organization.
Students must serve a minimum of 40 hours of community service as a requirement for graduation from Newport-Mesa Unified School District. It is recommended that students complete a minimum of 10 hours of community service each year. Students may accumulate more than 10 hours per year. Students are advised to complete the community service requirement prior to their senior year.
What qualifies as community service?
- Community service hours must be completed at a non-profit organization.
- A student may volunteer for a single organization or at a variety of organizations.
- Students are encouraged to complete their hours in areas related to their personal interests.
- Paid experiences do not qualify.
- Working without pay at your job or for a family business does not qualify.
- Court ordered community service will be accepted for up to 20 hours of the required 40 hours.
- Students can earn a maximum of 20 hours through a sport.
- Students cannot earn hours for donating items or money...only their time.
How do I prove my community service hours?
Students must complete a Community Service Verification Form for each organization he/she volunteers at. A supervisor's signature is required on each form. The parent of a student may not sign as the supervisor. Verification forms are located in the main office and Counseling Office as well as on our website. Forms must be submitted within one month of the date of service and are to be turned into the Counseling Office. Hours earned over summer should be turned in at the beginning of the school year in September.
If you have any questions regarding community service, please contact Jennifer Chamberlin at (949) 515-6551.