Skip To Main Content


Scheduling and Courses

Fall Course Selection

Course Selection Materials

EHS Course Catalog

Aeries Course Selection Instructional Video

12th Grade Course Selection Form (PDF)

11th Grade Course Selection (PDF)

10th Grade Course Selection (PDF)

9th Grade Course Selection (PDF)

Freshmen Course Guidelines (PDF)

Course Load Requirements

Grade 9-11:  Students must enroll in six classes.

Grade12:  Students may enroll in five classes if they have a minimum of 180 credits completed.  

Students may be eligible to attend classes through the Regional Occupational Program (ROP), college and university campuses.  However, the student must be enrolled at his/her home school for a minimum of 240 minutes a day.   Ten credits per year may be designated for an outside course (with counselor approval).    Typically, Fall registration begins in March and Spring registration begins in December.   

Minimum Day Seniors

Seniors who have 180 credits at the beginning of the senior year may apply for a five-period minimum day.  One of those 5 classes may be community college, university, or outside ROP.    

Schedule Changes

Schedule changes can occur during the 21 days of each semester. Students may have their schedule changes during the first 21 days of the semester in an effort to balance class sizes. Every effort will be made for students to keep the same teacher and/or course request if this occurs.  Students may not leave class to discuss their schedule or sent to the Counseling Office with a note during a class period. Students who desire to speak to a counselor must complete and submit a schedule change form or schedule an appointment with their counselor.  Students may also drop in to see their counselor before school, break, lunch, or after school. To the best of their ability, counselors will call in students who have submitted a schedule change request in a timely manner.

Schedule changes will not be made for the following reasons:

  • Student does not like the teacher or would prefer another teacher
  • Personal schedule (for example, job hours, conflicts with outside courses)
  • Preference to take a class during a specific period or with friends
  • Open period changes


New classes may be added up to 21 days into the semester with counselor and teacher approval. The student is responsible for making up missed work when appropriate.


No class may be dropped after 21 days into the semester.  Students who drop a class after the 21 day deadline will receive a WF (Withdrawal F) and will not be given a replacement course.


Level changes within a subject area not involving AP classes must be completed within the first 5 weeks of the semester.  For example, moving from Spanish 2 to Spanish 1. AP class level changes within a subject area must be completed within the first three weeks of the semester.  For examples, moving from from AP U.S. History to U.S. History.  Level changes may be initiated by the student, parent, or teacher.  

Physical Education

Students in grades 9 and 10 must be enrolled in physical education (P.E.) each semester for a total of four (4) semesters. If they do not receive enough credits to meet the requirements for graduation, the units must be made up before graduation.  Students coming from schools where P.E. is not required (such as private or out-of-state schools) need to make up the units missed.  In addition to the regular P.E. curriculum, other courses may receive P.E. credit, such as all types of athletics, drill team, dance, pep squad, adapted physical education, PE electives such as Athletic Weight Training, and marching band.     

Outside Classes

A maximum of 10 units per school year will be accepted from students who take courses in other districts/institutions while enrolled in a Newport-Mesa school.  Prior written approval of the principal/designee is required.  The school principal/designee may approve more than 10 units per year if a student has exhausted opportunities for advanced study in particular subjects (See Policy, Rule and Regulation 5227, Outside Education Courses).   A student may request to receive high school credit for outside educational courses which will be recorded on his/her transcript.  College credits will be accepted as high school credits towards graduation according to the following table:  

1-2 unit college class = 2.5 high school credits

3-5 unit college class = 5 high school credits

6-10 unit college class =10 high school credits    

The student/parent is responsible for requesting an official transcript from the outside institution. This transcript should be mailed directly to the school to the attention of the appropriate counselor. Once received, the pre-approval form will be matched with the official transcript and the registrar will post the grade to the students EHS transcript.